Today’s recipe is for one of my favorite chicken dishes, inspired by a Korean classic (Dakgangjeong, 닭강정). This dish consists of double-fried crispy chicken pieces, coated in a sweet, spicy and garlicky sauce. It’s perfect for an afternoon snack with a couple of beers, as dinner with some steamed white rice, or even as part of small dish collection when you have friends or family around. Trust me, once you try this recipe, this will be part of your go to chicken dishes!
Preparation Time: 5-10 min | Cooking Time: 20 min | Serves: 2 | Spice level: 🌶
What you’ll need:
- 500g chicken drumsticks (comes to about 6)
- Salt and black pepper q.b.
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- Small piece of ginger, grated
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Fresh scallions/green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
For the sauce
- One chili, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp water
- 60ml soy sauce
- Start by rubbing the grated garlic and ginger into the chicken pieces, seasoning them with some salt and black pepper. Let it sit while you get everything else ready.
- Put a big pot with vegetable oil on the stove and heat it up.
- Coat the chicken pieces in cornstarch, shaking them to let the excess starch fall off.
- Once your oil is hot (test with a small piece of starch coating), fry the chicken pieces for about 12 minutes, turning them a few times while they fry.
- Remove them from the oil, drain them with a sieve and let them rest for a few minutes on a plate.
- Now it’s time to work on the sauce. Add the garlic, chili and sesame oil to a frying pan and gently cook them, stirring occasionally. Once it’s nice and fragrant, add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Let it simmer in medium heat so that the sauce thickens. Ideally you want the sauce to be quite syrupy.
- Make sure the oil is hot again and fry the chicken pieces one more time, for about 13-14 minutes. They should feel crunchy and crispy when you touch them with your tongs, with a lovely golden brown color.
- Finally, once fried, remove them from the oil and drop them in the thickened sauce, combining everything so that the chicken pieces get thoroughly coated.
- Garnish with fresh chopped scallions and sesame seeds! Serve with a nice cold beer, of course.