Easter is coming! I don’t know about you, but I like a sweet one. So today’s recipe is for a cake, Portuguese inspired! The southern region of the Algarve is famous for its beaches but also for its almond based desserts and its wonderful oranges. Today’s dessert will (hopefully) pay tribute to this region’s amazing gastronomy. While it is not the most glamorous looking dessert, this cake is so tasty and so quick to make that you will want to have this recipe at hand! You only need five ingredients, no flour and there is also no need for fancy equipment: a hand whisk will do just fine. However, I promise you will end up with a delicious and fragrant bake that will impress your friends and family, just in time for a festive weekend.
Preparation Time: 5-10 min | Cooking Time: 25 min | Serves: 4-6
What you’ll need:
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g sugar
- 50g butter (melted)
- Zest of one orange
- 3 eggs
- Start by preheating your oven to 180ºC.
- In a large bowl, beat your eggs with the sugar.
- Now add the orange zest and give it a stir. Add the ground almonds and combine everything.
- Finally, add your melted butter and stir everything again to combine.
- Grease a tart tin (with a diameter of about 20-23cm) and line it with baking paper so it’s easier to remove the cake in the end. Pour the cake batter onto the tin and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Let it cool down and sprinkle with some icing sugar if you’d like.