Today’s recipe is a breakfast one! These baked toast pillows are filled with creamy feta cheese and topped up with crispy bacon and fresh thyme. They are perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch. They are also a savoury version of a breakfast recipe posted before (which you can check here). Very easy to make and pretty delicious, so make sure to give them a try!
Preparation Time: 5-10 min | Cooking Time: 30 min | Serves: 3 portions (of 2 pillows)
What you’ll need (for 6 Pillows):
For the toast
- 12 slices of white bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp of milk
- 2 tsp of grated parmesan cheese
For the filling
- 100g (full fat) cream cheese
- 40g of feta cheese
- A pinch of black pepper
- A pinch of dry tarragon
- A dash of olive oil
For the topping
- Fresh thyme
- Two rashers of smoked bacon
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC.
- Combine the filling ingredients until you obtain a smooth texture. Refrigerate while you assemble everything else.
- Use a bread knife to cut the crusts of your bread slices. Then, using a rolling pin, roll each slice over a hard surface to flatten them.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the filling mixture onto the center of the slice. Place another slice on top of this and use a fork to unite the edges, being careful not to press the center or your filling might spill out. You will end with a little bread pillow.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the milk, eggs and parmesan cheese.
- Now dip each pillow in this mixture, allowing the excess to drip off.
- Place the pillows on a baking tray (lined with baking paper) and bake them for 15-20 minutes at 200ºC until golden.
- While they bake, cut the bacon rashers into small bits and fry them in a non-stick pan until nice and crispy.
- Once the time is up, remove the pillows from the oven and sprinkle the fresh thyme and the crunchy bacon bits on top.