This is one of my go-to recipes for a quick and tasty midweek dinner. This spiced and juicy chicken goes perfectly well with rice, and it’s also incredibly easy to make! I’ll teach you how to make your own Cajun seasoning, which you can make in advance and use in some other recipes (it goes great with fish too, for example). You can also adjust the heat to your liking! For this recipe I used a mixture of basmati rice with wild rice, but you can use any type of rice you prefer.
Preparation Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 30 min | Serves: 2 | Spice level: 🌶
What you’ll need:
For the Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (you can adjust to your taste)
- Dash of olive oil
- Salt q.b.
- Coconut milk (400ml)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- About 400-500g chicken thighs
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Scallions/spring onions, chopped
- Start by preheating your oven to 200ºC.
- Combine all the spices and use a coffee grinder or a pestle and mortar to grind everything into a powder (it can be as coarse as you’d like).
- Add about 1 and ½ tablespoons of this spice mixture and some salt (to taste) to your chicken thighs, along with a dash of oil. Rub everything on the chicken pieces using your hands. You can leave it to marinate for a bit if you want, but if you’re in a rush you can roast the chicken straight away.
- Put the chicken pieces in a baking tray and roast for about 25-30 minutes.
- To make the rice, use a ratio of 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Wash the rice and then cook it in coconut milk and water as per packet instructions (wild rice can take a bit longer than usual), adding the vegetable stock cube to the water and coconut milk. Depending on what kind of rice you are using, it may take more or less time to cook, so you may need to add some water. Don’t forget to add some salt to it as well, but keep in mind how salty your stock cube may be.
- Once the rice has cooked, turn the heat off and cover the pot for about 10 minutes so the rice finishes steaming.
- Serve your chicken with some rice on the side. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and chopped spring onions, as well as with the juices that will be on the tray after roasting the meat. You can also squeeze a lime wedge on top of everything.