This is my go-to quick dessert: you can put together in a heartbeat and it always turns out great. With only 5 ingredients, this sweet and tangy lime tart takes inspiration from the American classic Key Lime pie. Perfect for a dinner party or a cheeky treat, this is one of those recipes that you’ll want to keep at hand.
Preparation Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 30 min (+4h cooling time) | Serves: 6
What you’ll need:
- 300g digestive biscuits
- 150g salted butter, melted
- 1 can of condensed milk (about 400g)
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 3 medium limes, zested and juiced
- Some extra lime zest for decoration
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 160ºC.
- Using a food processor (or by hand, if you’d like), crumble your biscuits until you achieve a sandy texture.
- Mix the crumbs with the melted butter. You will get a damp mixture and you will use this to create a tart base. Drop the mixture on a tart tin (with a removable base) and press the mixture against it in order to create a base. I used a 20cm tin, which didn’t need the whole biscuit mixture, so I left some out – as long as the bottom is completely covered with the base, you are good to do.
- Bake this for about 10 minutes, reserving it to cool once it’s done.
- Now whisk your egg yolks for a minute. Add the condensed milk and keep whisking it for about 3 minutes or so. Lastly, add the zest and juice of the limes and whisk it for 3 more minutes.
- Pour this mixture into the base you have created. Bake for 15 minutes.
- All you have to do now is let it cool and then refrigerate for 4h (preferably overnight, but sometimes it’s hard to resist)
- Decorate with some extra zest and, if you’d like, serve with some whipped cream.
- You can also bake them in individual tart tins, using the same process.
- If your limes are particularly small, you can add the zest and juice of a fourth one.